Saturday, March 10, 2007

Betas and GAX/GAT

I used to love installing betas and trying out new ways to code. I still enjoy it, but all that time taught me that the same thing will happen after a certain amount of time. The WOW part of the beta will be wonderful and exactly as explained. Continuing to build will inevitably lead to the point where you cannot accomplish what you want. The docs say it will do one thing but the forums confirm that what you need to do is broken and can't be done. Of course, if everything was working they wouldn't be betas, they'd be products.

This mentality has prevented me from installing GAX and GAT. They are Visual Studio 2005 extensions that come with recipes that make it easier to create and use frameworks and thus easier to write code. This is the kind of thing I love, and I made the mistake of downloading and installing it. No joke, and maybe it was a coincidence, but my shift key wouldn't work in VS 2005 until I uninstalled. I wasn't expecting too much and I'm still interested in the technology, but I decided to wait until the final release before trying it again.

The first beta was released in May 2005 and now it's March 2007 and I can't find any release date. This is discouraging. The Smart Client Guidance seems like it would be useful, but I need my shift key.

No comments: